Relief”

An Artist’s Statement

21st April 2007 - 28th May 2007

People are my main source of inspiration. Their faces, the movement of their bodies; the way that the slightest most subtle shift conveys a depth of feeling of which they are mostly unaware. I am compelled by the erratic, unpredictable moments in life; what it means to be human. It is the moments in between action, the point of transition; the moment of ambiguity of purpose where someone weeping can erupt into laughter or vice versa, that I aim to capture.

An element in art, chiaroscuro (Italian for clear-dark) is defined as a bold contrast between light and dark. It originated in the Renaissance and originally described a technique where an artist worked from a base tone toward the light and dark with a variety of materials including watercolour. I experimented with the concept by limiting myself to single colour against the dark. The colours I selected to enhance and amplify the potential emotions of the subjects to allow the audience to claim their own experience from the pieces.

My work is a permutation of organic human emotion, colour and chiaroscuro. I utilise this amalgamation [in my work] as a vehicle for emotive expression, an amplification of the transition of emotion to body language.

Stephnie Wilton

website: http://stephism.blogspot.com/

Contact, Comments and Commissions email: Stephnie.Wilton@gmail.com

Friday, November 16, 2007

Chest Relief

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page